The Col Ballroom

1999 - Ballroom

The Col is one of lowa's oldest operating ballrooms having been built in November of 1914 by the late Leo Kerker as a replacement for an earlier wooden ballroom that was destroyed by fire. The original ballroom was known as The Coliseum.


In 1991, the ballroom underwent a major renovation that included extensive brick cleaning.  The ornate balcony also underwent extensive renovation as well as new carpeting and drapes. The Col is one of lowa's oldest operating ballrooms.


In 1991, the ballroom underwent a major renovation that included extensive brick cleaning.  The ornate balcony also underwent extensive renovation as well as new carpeting and drapes.


The owner of The Col during most of its historic years was Don Wachel of Davenport. Don has been one of the most highly regarded professionals in the ballroom industry nationally including being past president of the National Ballrooms Operators Association. (NBOA)


Wachel was well schooled in the entertainment business as being a member of the popular band, Sheriff Tom Owens & His Cowboys.


Over the years The Col has hosted them all. From Tommy Dorsey, Stan Kenton, and Frank Sinatra, to The Beach Boys, B.B King and even Jimi Hendrix.


What is interesting about The Col playing host to the Beach Boys, this 1963 show was their first ever tour out of California traveling in a station wagon, U-Haul trailer and Murry Wilson driving. Now that's Iowa rock and roll history.


Wachel relinquished The Col in 1995 when new owner Michael Cervantez took the helm.

 

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • Flickr Social Icon

Honoring achievements, educating youth, and inspiring artists.