The Electric Park Ballroom
1999 - Ballroom
The famed Electric Park Ballroom got its start in the late 1800s when R.E. Peterson developed a 14-acre site outside of Waterloo. The original site includes an amusement park with rides, a movie house, sports garden, picnic area, a fun house and a lunch counter.
The concept for the ballroom did not come about until the 1930s when a fire swept through Electric Park and destroyed much of what had been built.
In 1934, the "New" Electric Park Ballroom was constructed after the earlier fire. The driving force behind the development of the famed ballroom was once again, R.E. Peterson. Also constructed was a new site for the barrel of fun and the merry-go-round, with all the property now included in the city limits of Waterloo.
The likes of Jimmy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, and Guy Lombardo were top draws at 25 cents a head.
In the late '50s, Electric Park took to rock and roll like so many other ballrooms in the region with bookings for Conway Twitty, The Everly Brothers, Dion, Johnny & The Hurricanes and Bill Black's Combo being common.
Today the ballroom is operated by The National Cattle Congress which has done a superb job with operation and upkeep on this beautiful facility.